- What are your migraine triggers?
What are your migraine triggers?
- Keep a migraine diary – migraine triggers are very individual and can be related to diet, hormones, sleep, stress, fasting and environmental factors.
- Dietary triggers to watch out for: Missed or irregular meals; alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, dairy especially cheese, wheat, citrus and processed meats.
- Keep hydrated
- Blood sugar – aim for 3, small, regular meals each day with a healthy snack in between if hungry. Choose wholegrain foods (choose brown over white) with lean protein and plentiful, colourful vegetables to slow down digestion and keep blood sugar stable.
- Magnesium – low magnesium may be a factor in some types of migraine. Include magnesium-rich foods in your diet everyday: nuts, seeds and wholegrains; beans and lentils; green leafy vegetables, such as kale and spinach and fruits such as avocado, figs, raspberries and banana.